Have you always wanted to make a real difference in the growth and development of youth across Canada? Are you energetic, organized; a natural leader who can work at the top level to support and lead hundreds of volunteers. Do you enjoy being part of a dynamic team?
You’re invited to submit your application for the volunteer position of:
AREA COMMISSIONER VOLUNTEER POSITION
Shining Waters Council
Serving the regions of York, Simcoe, Muskoka, Dufferin and Grey Bruce
Appointed/elected annually by the Council Commissioner in
consultation with the members in the area to be served. The Area
Commissioner shall not hold office for more than three (3) consecutive years.
16 to 20 hours per month (on average)
Scope of position:
The Area Commissioner is recognized as the principle point of contact for the Area.
Responsibilities include Communication and ensuring that the Group Commissioners
receive the service and support necessary for them to perform their roles. Typical roles
and/or responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
Encourage an attitude favorable for growth and identify, create and provide
opportunities for growth within the Area.
Regularly meet with Group Commissioners to review their plan and progress for
Effectively manage the VRAD process in the Area.
Actively support the promotion of all seven programs currently offered.
- Selectively recruit, orient and appoint:
- Group Commissioners
- Other adults to assist in the management of the Area as necessary (i.e. Adult Development, Service and Support, Communications, etc.).
Represent the Area as a member of the Council Commissioner’s team and provide
monthly reports on the program status of the Area.
- Manage the flow of accurate and timely information on all Scouting matters, including
procedure and policy changes.
- Develop positive working relationships with Group and Council Commissioners, Leaders
and the community at large within their area.
- Encourage Section Leaders and Group management team members to attend Area Scouters’ Clubs.
Provide assistance and leadership to the Group Commissioners
- Be a catalyst for youth input at the Area level.
- Regularly meet with Group Commissioners to monitor progress in achieving Scouts
Canada’s Program Standards and provides assistance where possible. Section 4000 17 November 2010
- Ensure due emphasis is placed on risk management with a focus on member safety.
- Identify/engage external resources as required so that Area initiatives and goals can be
- Provide support in the preparation of Area camps or special events.
Volunteer Recruitment and Development Strategy:
Ensure compliance with Scouts Canada’s Polices, Procedures and Program Standards.
- Prepare and conduct Group Audits.
- Ensure compliance with all Screening Procedures as set by Scouts Canada.
Conduct evaluations of Commissioners, identify development needs and provide
opportunities for further leadership development where required.
Advise the Council Executive Director immediately if, as a result of a complaint or
observed behavior, a Member should be suspended. Take appropriate action as directed
by Council Executive Director. Council Management Operating Procedures must be
Identify the developmental needs of Volunteer members within the Area and ensure
opportunities for appropriate leadership development are provided.
Be a catalyst for service and achievement recognition for members within the Area.
Recommend approval of adult members where no Group Commissioner is available.
The ideal candidate will have:
Five or more years experience as a Leader.
Completed the Wood Badge Part II for one or more program Sections.
Committed to undertake further personal development related to their role as Area
Commissioner within one year.
Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills.
Modeled positive behaviors appropriate to Scouting.
Registered as a member of Scouts Canada.
Demonstrated knowledge of VRAD process
interested, applicants are invited to send in a cover letter as
well as a Scouting resume, indicating relevant qualifications
for the Position.
Please send this to
, Council Commissioner.