Have you always wanted to make a real difference in the growth and development of youth across Canada? Are you energetic, organized; a natural leader who can work at the top level to support and lead hundreds of volunteers. Do you enjoy being part of a dynamic team?
You’re invited to submit your application for the volunteer position of:
Area Youth Commissioner
Shining Waters Council
Serving the regions of York, Simcoe, Muskoka, Dufferin and Grey Bruce
Council Youth Commissioner
In consultation with the Area Youth Forum and the Area Commissioner, the
Council Youth Commissioner appoints the Area Youth Commissioner annually.
The Area Youth Commissioner may be reappointed annually, but will not serve
more than three (3) years consecutively, as per By-law, Policies & Procedures.
10 to 15 hours per month.
The Area Youth Commissioner (AYC) is the recognized point of contact on
issues of program satisfaction and evaluation between the youth and the Area
Service Team. The AYC shall be a catalyst for promoting meaningful youth
involvement within the area and seeing that Youth initiatives are actively
supported and recognized in conjunction with Council Youth Commissioner..
The AYC role is to ensure youth are being provided with leadership opportunities
at the section level, through avenues such as Sixer/Second Councils and Courts
of Honour. They also ensure, with the Area Service Team, that communication is
strong between the youth and the groups, the Area Service Team and the
Council. The AYC should act to fulfill the aims and objectives of the Council
Youth Network. Priority of initiatives is given to: Section Youth Leadership
Development, Youth input, Local initiatives, Network development, Membership
Development & Growth Activities and Section Support.
Duties and Responsibilities:
(Additional duties to be decided upon in consultation with the AYC, the AC and
1. Promote youth leadership development within the sections by visiting the
sections and encouraging proper use of Sixer/Second Councils, Courts of
Honour, and Venturer Executives.
2. Serve as Chair of the Area Youth Forum (if established)
3. Serve as an active, contributing member of the Area Service Team
4. Encourage Scouting growth and image improvement initiatives
5. Encourage youth training events to run (i.e. FOCUS, Venturer Exec.
6. Work with the Area Service Team to provide direct support to section
leaders and the group, in the form of evaluation and feedback based on Quality
7. Ensure that youth and adult volunteers are recognized for their
contributions, through either local or national awards process.
8. With the Area Service Team, help identify resources needed to promote
and deliver Scouting within the communities we serve.
9. Serve as a member of the Council Youth Forum and communicate on a
regular basis with the Council Youth Commissioner.
10. Encourage youth representatives to attend the Area Scouters Clubs.
11. Work with the Area Commissioner and the Council Youth Commissioner
to develop a set of realistic goals, annually.
12. Ensure a complete and thorough handover procedure, including reviewing
any goals already set and a review of the latest minutes of meetings attended, is
completed before relinquishing duties with any replacement for this role.
Enthusiastic and committed providing they have the time available without
interfering with their academic endeavours.
Possesses skills in:
Has knowledge of:
Scouting's programsr />
By-law, Policies & Procedures
Scouts Canada's Mission
Program resources available
Please send this to
, Council Commissioner.