Ages: young men and women 14 to 17 years of age
On my honour
I promise that I will do my best
To do my duty to God and the Queen
To help other people at all times,
And to carry out the spirit of the Scout Law.
The Venturer program emphasizes having fun while encouraging teens to feel good about themselves, their friends and family, God, and the environment. Venturers helps teens advance their leadership skills and gain self confidence.
Venturers promotes activities that encourage teens to:
- show that they care and live according to their personal values and religious beliefs
- develop and use the skills of communicating, solving problems and making decisions
- explore vocational opportunities
- participate in a variety of social, cultural and spiritual activities
- work cooperatively in adult-like settings
- participate in challenging physical and outdoor activities
- become aware of and respond to needs of the community and the environment
The Venturer program is built around a lively variety of activities based on personal and group interests. Venturing emphasizes outdoor and environmental activities, citizenship and community service, leadership and personal development, and career exploration. Individual interests and skills are recognized through an awards system.
The outdoors is an essential part of the Venturer program. Weekend events, extended hikes, no trace camping and seasonal sports opportunities round out the Venturer experience. Developing an active, healthy lifestyle is the prime goal. As well, Venturing helps teens learn new knowledge and skills that can lead to a satisfying career.
Venturers meet in a group called a company. Venturers develop and manage their own program with the help of an adult advisor. Each Venturer learns a promise and motto to help guide their personal development.